Best Credit Repair Companies of 2017
Finding and eventually selecting a credit repair company you know will help you fix your credit can be a scary task at first. To help you out, we have listed many pros and cons of some of the best credit repair companies around.
Even with so many choices for credit repair services available today, it’s still a harsh reality that there will be companies that take advantage of peoples’ financial issues and scam their customers. For those who want to fix their credit but have no idea where to begin, it can really seem pretty overwhelming, and understandably some would even feel paranoid of getting scammed. After all, how can you know for sure if a company is able to raise your credit score properly or not? It’s a valid inquiry many people are too afraid to ask, so here’s a list of some of the top reputable services we have compiled for you, including some of their best features, and conversely their not-so-great features too.
Choose from the Best Credit Repair Services
- Sky Blue
- Lexington Law
- The Credit People
- Price: SkyBlue Credit Repair’s initial fee is 59, and then you pay only $59 monthly after that, making it one of the most impressive companies offering great service at a low price.
- Features: SkyBlue Credit Repair is one of the best credit repair services today, offering straightforward services, instead of overwhelming you with very fancy features you honestly could move forward without. This includes fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending good faith letters
- Cancellation: You’re free to cancel SkyBlue’s month-to-month services at any time.
- Reputation: SkyBlue is considered one of the top credit repair companies today, receiving top ranking across many review websites, including the elusive A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Guarantee: SkyBlue offers a 100%, 90-day money back guarantee, no matter what your reason for dissatisfaction is.
- Customer Service: SkyBlue’s customer service is helpful and nice, something that is actually unusual for a credit repair service.
- Price: Lexington Law Credit Repair has three different types of service, costing you $79.95/month, $99.95/month or $119.95/month, depending on which plan you need.
- Features: Their first tier, Concord Standard, offers the same credit repair basics that SkyBlue and The Credit People can offer. The second, Concord Premier, adds a second level of credit repair assistance: monthly credit monitoring and a credit score improvement analysis. The third, PremierPlus, adds identity fraud alerts and access to personal finance tools which can help you monitor your funds.
- Cancellation: You can cancel Lexington Law’s month-to-month services at any time.
- Reputation: As their name suggests, Lexington Law is run by actual lawyers. It should be noted that they are the only credit service that does, making its reputation quite strong. They also have an “A-” rating from the BBB.
- Guarantee: Lexington Law will only charge you for work they have already completed.
- Customer Service: Lexington Law has a wide customer service network that includes phone, email, and chat.
- Price: One of the most attractive features The Credit People can offer is their $19 7-day trial. If you think they’re the company to go for, they will then also offer a lump-sum price of $299 for 6 months of service in advance, or go for $59 a month. Either option is relatively easy on the pocket, though you will end up saving up to $55 if you select the lump-sum option.
- Features: Similar to SkyBlue, The Credit People offers straightforward credit repair services instead of additional but often unnecessary features. Their basic services include everything SkyBlue offers.
- Cancellation: You can cancel at any time, regardless which payment option you pick.
- Reputation: The Credit People has mixed, but generally positive reviews. On the BBB website, the multiple reviews average to a “B” rating. Some people are very impressed with their services while others were disappointed, but nearly everyone agrees that the money-back guarantee is pretty good.
- Guarantee: The Credit People can refund you 100% and you can cancel anytime if you were not satisfied with their services.
- Customer Service: They have limited customer service, with phone hours only between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. However, they offer email customer service anytime, and their customer service representatives will get back to you within 24 hours.
- Price: CreditRepair.com offers an all-in $99.95 for their service.
- Features: CreditRepair.com offers all the basics of credit repair, including sending letters of good faith, finding and fixing mistakes on your report, and looking for and using loopholes to contest items on your report. On top of that, they will communicate directly with credit card issuers and the credit bureaus to ensure that these updates were done. Lastly, they will monitor your credit for you, and you will have access to a sleek user interface that helps you track your progress.
- Cancellation: You can cancel CreditRepair.com’s month-to-month services at any time.
- Reputation: CreditRepair.com has an “A+” at the BBB, and the company generally comes with a solid reputation.
- Guarantee: Similar to Lexington Law, CreditRepair.com only charges you for the month once they have completed the work you agreed upon.
- Customer Service: CreditRepair.com is famous for their sleek user interface, which nearly eliminates the need for customer service. Regardless, their customer service is still accessible and helpful should you still find the need to contact them.
Lexington Law Review
What Are the Best Credit Repair Companies?
Most credit repair companies should offer and achieve all of these things for you:
- Pull your credit report from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion)
- Find errors, if any, on your credit reports
- Help improve your credit score [also referred to as the Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO) score]
- Negotiate with your lenders and sending them letters of good faith
- Search for and use legal credit repair law loopholes so they can remove any negative items in your report
Some companies can offer more services on top of these, but the list above is usually more than enough to help you improve your credit score.
Best Overall Credit Repair Service: Sky Blue
Sky Blue Credit Repair is an affordable, trustworthy company that offers people very straightforward, no-frills service for a fair price. Because of this, they don’t really have all the other fancy features their competitors offer. However, that’s just fine as you get all the basics you’ll need to get you started, including finding and fixing any mistakes on your credit report, sending letters of good faith to your lenders, and going through legal loopholes they can use so your credit score can return to where it should be.
The BBB has rated Sky Blue Credit Repair with the coveted A+ score, the best rating we have seen on a credit repair agency. Because the company is very transparent with what they offer, people have trusted them for about 20 years, making them one of the most reputable, long-standing companies still around today.
Another thing that’s great about Sky Blue Credit Repair is their bold 90-day 100% money-back guarantee, which you can get any time if you’re dissatisfied for whatever reason. As long as you believe they have not done their job, you are entitled to a 100% refund within 90 days of your signup. It’s a strong, confident move for them to offer it to their customers, especially in an industry that’s crawling with scam companies.
How Much Does It Cost?
As one of the most affordable reputable credit repair companies around, Sky Blue offers their services at only $59 for the initial payment and another $59 each month, a big difference from companies that offer the same amount of services for over $100.
Best for Extras Credit Repair Service: Lexington Law
Lexington Law, the only credit repair company that has lawyers behind the scenes, has been around longer than Sky Blue. They offer all the basics, plus more, including access to a paralegal. However, compared to Sky Blue’s superb “A+” rating from the BBB, Lexington Law was only ranked “A-” (which is a good rating).
Lexington Law’s basic package offers everything in our list of basics, but their Concord and PremierPlus packages offer additional important services like scrutiny on FTC regulations which your lenders must follow. If the lenders don’t, Lexington Law can legally have derogatory information removed from your report. Depending on which package you choose, you can also have monthly credit monitoring and identity theft protection added.
The company guarantees you pay only for the work you agreed upon, and will only charge for the work once it’s completed. While their guarantee is not a full refund, it’s still quite a good deal regardless, especially when you consider that lawyers and paralegals are on board to help you clean up your financial history and improve your credit score.
How Much Does It Cost?
Lexington Law charges an initial fee of $99.95, plus an additional $10 so they can get your credit reports from the top three credit bureaus. After these payments, it will cost you $59.95 for the basic package (which includes everything Sky Blue and The Credit People can offer), plus a paralegal who will guide and help you in finding other ways to improve your credit score and deal with your account. Upgrades cost $79.95/month for the Concord package, $99.95/month for the Concord Premier package, or $119.95/month for the PremierPlus package.
Best for Savings Credit Repair Service: The Credit People
The Credit People offers services at the same price that Sky Blue does – $59 a month. However, incentives such as their 7-day trial for $19 make them one of the most affordable reputable credit repair companies around. This means you can try the service for a week, no commitments. You can then continue the service month-to-month if you find their services satisfactory, and you are also able to cancel service at any time.
How Much Does It Cost?
As previously mentioned, The Credit People offers a $19 7-day trial, and then you can continue either for $59 per month of service, or a lump-sum option of $299 for 6 months. The lump sum option saves you as much as $55 compared to the monthly service, and is also fully-refundable.
Best for Identity Theft Credit Repair Service: CreditRepair.com
CreditRepair.com is a company that can really help people who have experienced identity theft, plus they can also manage the dispute resolution process. This helps get rid of any negative items from your credit report. Your personalized dashboard will also have a visual representation of your credit score, making it easy for you to understand and plan out how to fix your credit. They can give you an average of 7% decrease in the number of questionable negative items each month.
How Much Does It Cost?
CreditRepair.com charges $99.95 per month on a month-to-month basis, eliminating the need for contracts or other scary commitments. They can also offer a discount when you sign up with someone else, allowing both of you to save $50 on your first month.
Best for Simplicity Credit Repair Service: Credit Assistance Network
Having started only in 2004, Credit Assistance Network is relatively new. However, don’t let that give you a bad impression – the company’s owner has years of experience in the field, offsetting their relatively short stint in the industry. Note that there is little news on the company’s success rate, but their website does have plenty of details of their services. While it doesn’t mention much about reasonable expectations, you can access their FAQ to find out more about them and any questions to may have.
How Much Does It Cost?
Credit Assistance Network does not post their pricing. You have to fill out a request for their free credit analysis in order to get a quote.
Good Credit Repair Service: Ovation Credit Repair
Ovation Credit Repair also started in 2004, but it already has an impressive “A+” rating from the BBB. They offer that rare 100% money-back guarantee, so you can try their services risk-free. With unlimited disputes, direct submission to the credit bureaus, and personalized service including an action plan for fixing your credit, you have all the tools you need to get you started.
How Much Does It Cost?
Ovation offers two plans with customization options:
- Essentials – Priced at $59 per month, with an additional $89 setup fee, this plan is relatively cheap. However, you will need to provide a copy of your credit report on your own. You can also request same day processing and identity optimization for additional, one-time fees.
- Essentials Plus – Priced at $89 per month, and an additional $89 setup fee, you get all of the features from Essentials, plus more. Ovation will send out goodwill letters to your creditors so negative items can be removed from your report, plus TransUnion credit monitoring which alerts you any time there is activity that may affect your score negatively.
How does credit repair work?
While you’re hiring professionals to help repair your credit, it pays to be educated and know what’s going on behind the scenes. Generally speaking, credit repair works by either modifying or completely getting rid of certain things from your credit report that are dragging your FICO score down. By fixing or removing these mistakes, negotiating with lenders, and utilizing legal loopholes, you can improve your credit score. Although it’s possible to do all of this yourself, credit repair companies have the experience and know-how when it comes to how the system works, so you can rest assured they are doing it all efficiently and effectively for a fair price.
What do credit repair companies do?
Your chosen credit repair company needs to assess your credit situation from the get go. While some companies offer to pull your reports on your behalf, either as part of their service or for an additional fee, most companies would ask you to do that yourself. After, you’ll receive a proposition which they think is the best plan of attack so your credit score can improve, including negotiating with lenders, fixing errors, and contesting negative things that may easily be eliminated. Remember, though, that while it seems like things are slow-moving, too many inquiries and contentions may raise red flags with the credit bureaus, so exercise patience and do things slowly but surely.
How can Credit Repair Companies Help?
All of this will depend on your credit report and situation. Once you pull that report, you and your selected credit repair agency should assess if there are factual errors and errors due to lenders misreporting. The agency will then try to negotiate with your lenders to remove these negative items, especially if it’s an error on the lenders’ end and if you have a generally good credit history. These are just a few ideas, and reputable credit repair services can do additional steps to help improve your credit score and clean up your report.
How to Find the Best Credit Repair Company?
The company for you may be different from someone else’s. It depends on various factors such as your financial situation, your budget, and which types of services you need – do you want just the basics, or do you need additional features like identity theft protection and monthly credit monitoring? All of the services we’ve reviewed have their own pros and cons that could make or break your decision.